Apple Tuscan Kale Salad
- 1 bunch of Kale, washed and shredded
- 2 apples
- Lemon juice
- Sea or kosher salt
- Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Bottle of Deb’s Dressing
Take the shredded kale, sprinkle some sea salt and toss with dressing and let sit for about an hour so kale becomes tender.
Chop the apples and drizzle with lemon juice and toss to mix together.
Add apples and walnuts to tossed kale and mix all together.
*Of course go ahead and add a little goat cheese or feta if you like!
Black Bean Salsa
Use as a dip for tortilla chips or as a salsa for grilled chicken, fish or meat.
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 3 ears corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Plunge corn into boiling water for 2 minutes. Cool. Cut kernels off the cob.
- Toss everything together. Add lime juice and seasoning.
- Add 1 can chic peas.
- Add 2 hot pepper, chopped.
- Use scallions instead of red onion.
Goes great with grilled chicken!
- 1 large bunch of broccoli
- 5 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ cup white raisins
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Rinse broccoli and cut flowerets into bite sized pieces
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, bacon and vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, raisins and onions. Add mayonnaise mixture, gently stirring to combine thoroughly.
- Chill and serve
Serves 4 to 6
- ½ head cabbage (red, green or a mixture of both), grated
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine cabbage, onion, vinegar and sugar
- Mix in mayonnaise, adding more if necessary to reach desired consistency
- Chill for about 30 minutes before serving
Variations: Any of the following ingredients can be added to taste: green or red pepper, diced; celery, diced; scallions, chopped; parsley, chopped; green or black olives, sliced; raisins; fresh dill, chopped; carrots, grated; paprika; celery seed; hard boiled eggs, chopped. Substitute sour cream for part of the mayonnaise if desired, or use non-fat sour cream and fat-free mayonnaise for a low fat diet. Eliminate the mayonnaise and substitute your favorite vinaigrette or bottled commercial dressing.
- 2 lbs fresh washed spinach
- 5 pieces of cooked bacon crumbled
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1/2 lbs sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Deb’s Dressing (can be purchased at Schmitt’s Farmstand on Sound), an oil vinaigrette dressing or another dressing of your choice.
- Use as much spinach as you need for the number of people being served.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Apply dressing to taste.
- Mix & Serve