Cut off Beet tops (leaves) and bottoms (roots) and wash.
- Boil Beets in pot with water and cover (boil small beets for 15 minutes, and large
for about 30 minutes).
- Test for tenderness with fork (like you would do for a potato)
- Allow the beets to cool
- Peel the skin off of the beet and slice
- Sauté the beet with butter or olive oil
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Cider Vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Boil Beets in pot with water and cover (boil small beets for 15 minutes, and large for about 30 minutes).
- Make dressing of equal part sugar to equal part cider vinegar, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the beets with dressing
- Chill and serve
Optional: add sliced red pepper
- Prick Beet with a fork (like you would do for a baked potato)
- Wrap each beet in foil
- Bake in oven on 350º for 1 hour
- Add butter, salt and pepper
Sweet Potato Crisps (fries)
- 3 sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper (I like sea salt)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and thinly slice sweet potatoes. (If they are big, cut sweet potato length wise and then slice, or make French fry shape)
- Toss with olive oil and lay in single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven 20-30 minutes depending on thickness of slices and how crispy you like them.
A nice dipping sauce is equal parts honey to mayo or sour cream.
What to do with winter squash
(butternut, acorn and spaghetti)
- Wash your squash and pierce with a knife (like a baked potato)
- Place whole in microwave depending on size from 5 to 10 minutes
- Let cool slightly to handle
- Cut open and do as follows:
- For Acorn and butternut squash: Scoop seeds out of each half. Spread butter and sprinkle with brown sugar or parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. You can place in microwave for 3 minutes or you can bake in oven for a ½ hour at 350 degrees (if you like it a little brown).
- For Spaghetti Squash: cut in half and scoop out insides. Mix in butter or olive oil, salt and pepper and parmesan cheese (or brown sugar if you prefer). Scoop back in shell and microwave for 5 minutes. I like to scoop out insides into a sauté pan and add olive oil and/or butter with a little onion or garlic and sauté until heated through. After this anything you would like to add is up to you. I like grape tomatoes, mushroom, spinach, shrimp, sausage or meatballs with sauce.